Ethernet Help
pinormous Offline
Passer of Judgement

Threads: 13
Ethernet Help
Hey all! I haven't gleaned any information off you guys in what?... wow, over a month?! I can't believe I've survived so long!

Anyway, in the vast amount of knowledge that I don't possess, right in the middle of it is anything involving ethernet ports. I'm good with making networks and the hardware that can be involved in doing so, but I feel like there's so much more I can do with the ports on the clients than I currently am. The most advanced thing I've done is use a wireless client as a network bridge for a wired client and that was because of some really weird circumstances. I'm rambling; onto another paragraph that actually has my question in it!

I have a NAS. That NAS has aggregated ports to my router. I have an HTPC. This HTPC is sitting right next to my NAS and is responsible for a hefty majority of the NAS' load. I also have a gigabit PCI-E card I can put in said HTPC. Now, if I were to take one of the ethernet cables from my NAS and run it directly to the HTPC instead of the routerĀ (and obviously turn off port aggregation), can I transfer files directly to the NAS through this new connection? If so, would it be plug and play or would there be some serious software tweaking to do so?

This is of zero importance, but it would accelerate my transfer speeds to the NAS and not throttle my shiny new gigabit internet on either device. So, what say you my wonderful pony-centric, tech-minded internet denizens?

Beyond this specific situation, what else can these cool little ports do? Tell me all of its secrets!
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2793449&p=81403693&u=6281...b=octavia1][Image: sigimage.php?e=pinormous&b=vinylscratch1]
(This post was last modified: 2017-06-29, 01:20:28 PM by pinormous.)
2017-06-29, 12:12:50 PM
Find Reply
Colgate Offline
Cutie Mark Crusader

Threads: 1
RE: Ethernet Help
Quote:can I transfer files directly to the NAS through this new connection?
Yes

Quote:If so, would it be plug and play or would there be some serious software tweaking to do so?
Some minor tweaking. You would probably want to set a static IP on both the HTPC and the NAS. Another option would be a static IP and a dhcp server on one, then the other use dhcp, but that is much more complicated and not worth the effort for such a small deployment.

Quote:So, what say you my wonderful pony-centric, tech-minded internet denizens?
I say this is possible, but why? Just connect the gigabit connection from the HTPC into the router/switch. Unless you have some serious packet storming going on, any 20$ 5 port gigabit switch can handle this kind of load, and I'm sure if your router can handle routing a gigabit/s of traffic, it can easily handle a gigabit/s of just switching traffic, if it even hits the software in your router instead of just being switched in hardware.

The only device that might have a slower internet connection from all of this is the HTPC, if it is utilizing its solo connection to the switch/router 100%. If the existing connection in the htpc is already gigabit, then adding the second card and then bonding those nics would resolve that(do note that bonding nics that are on different cards can have a large performance penalty as the packets have to hit the kernel, but with only 1 gbps networking, shouldn't be an issue). If your existing connection in the HTPC is 100 mbps, then I'd just disable that one and use the single 1gbps link.

tl;dr, just put the 1gb nic into the htpc and plug it into the router, or, if you already have a 1gbps connection to the router from the htpc, don't change anything or potentially bond it with the new card. Keep the bonded links on the NAS.
Founder of the Canternet IRC network: https://canternet.org/
2017-06-29, 02:55:07 PM
Website Find Reply
davidfg4 Offline
The one and only

Threads: 12
Yep, this is pretty easy so long as both the HTPC and NAS have at least two interfaces.

Basically the link between the HTPC and NAS is its own little network.

Connect the HTPC directly to the NAS with an ethernet cable. Because there is not DHCP server on this network, you will need to manually assign a static IP to each computer. Make sure to use a different subnet than the regular network, so the computers know where to route traffic. (For example if your home network is 192.168.1.0/24, use 192.168.2.0/24 for the private link, with the HTPC being 192.168.2.1, and the NAS being 192.168.2.2) Make sure to leave the regular LAN interfaces alone. Gigabit interfaces and better automatically apply crossover if detected, so you don't have to worry about using a crossover cable when directly connecting two computers, a regular cable will do.

The network will now look something like this: (Exact IPs will vary based on network)
LAN network:
192.168.1.1 router
192.168.1.10 HTPC
192.168.1.11 NAS
Private link:
192.168.2.1 HTPC
192.168.2.2 NAS

So now if the HTPC pings 192.168.1.11 or 192.168.2.2 they will both reach the NAS, but over the different interfaces. So configure the HTPC to connect to the NAS over 192.168.2.2 to use the private link. (It may be convenient to make a hosts file entry for the computer.)

So anyway that's the quick rundown. Sorry if I skipped over some details just let me know and I can explain further.
2017-06-29, 03:20:09 PM
Website Find Reply
pinormous Offline
Passer of Judgement

Threads: 13
First off, that was beautiful david. Very clear and gave me every piece of information I needed and in a simple enough language that I could easily follow it, so thank you. Second, it works great! Definitely cuts down on the time it takes to manage all the files between the two systems.

I've found great sources for everything from budget to enthusiast builds, and a surprising amount for enterprise solutions, but there's a gap between the two, right where optimizing NAS solutions would be. You have been a great help and I'm lucky to be in a group as knowledgeable as this and that doesn't look down on us less edumacated/experienced but shares information so freely. Heart
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2793449&p=81403693&u=6281...b=octavia1][Image: sigimage.php?e=pinormous&b=vinylscratch1]
2017-07-01, 11:25:59 AM
Find Reply
davidfg4 Offline
The one and only

Threads: 12
Awesome, glad you got it working!
2017-07-01, 12:48:57 PM
Website Find Reply
Colgate Offline
Cutie Mark Crusader

Threads: 1
I'm still confused as to why you think this is needed. This will have basically no affect on anything.
Founder of the Canternet IRC network: https://canternet.org/
2017-07-04, 04:18:54 PM
Website Find Reply