Brony@Home - Forums

Full Version: Help build a $2k+ computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My little brother wants me to build him a $2k-2.5K computer. The problem that I keep running up against is that the really good stuff is coming at the end of the year, not right now...

He will be getting a really good 4k computer screen and other stuff, between 2 and 2.5k is reserved for the computer system. When it comes time to buy, I will be driving out to microcenter (in dallas texas) and getting all the parts there, so no newegg or amazon unless its such a good part that can't be obtained at microcenter. Also he will be using linux too, so AMD videocard only.

Should I go with a better motherboard and a cheaper (maybe ryzen 2000 series) processor and tell him to upgrade when he feels the need to?
I feel the average person won’t be held back by using a cheaper motherboard/chipset. I’d get the second chipset from the bottom and throw more at the CPU.
Eh there's always better stuff on the horizon, build a good computer now that will last for a good long while without being crazy expensive.

And honestly with the 5700XT being the best AMD GPU out right now priced at only $400, you are going to have a hard time using up that $2500 budget anyway.
I can certainly vouch for the 5700XT, it's been a great upgrade to make, however, I cannot guarantee this will be a great performer at 4k, and likely won't be able to hold 60fps on the most demanding games.
It's a great 1440p card and  I intend to get a 144hz screen which it should be able to keep up with.

However, if you're willing to hold out a bit longer, AMD is indeed rumored to have RDNA2 coming out later this year, and like Zen -> Zen 2 you might be looking at a decent step up.
(2020-05-05, 05:37:49 PM)seatsea Wrote: [ -> ]However, if you're willing to hold out a bit longer, AMD is indeed rumored to have RDNA2 coming out later this year, and like Zen -> Zen 2 you might be looking at a decent step up.

This is what I tried to get him to wait for, but it is not meant to happen. Maybe he will upgrade later.

After thinking about it for a bit more I think you guys are right about getting a good processor right now rather than waiting. At least 8 core ryzen 3000. Later I'll see what microcenter has in stock and put something together. Will link the parts here.
Do you know what the computer will be used for? Because we certainly can use up a budget but there's no way to know if that's a good use of money without use cases. Will it be used for gaming? What games? Anything that would actually benefit from a high core count?
I always assume it's for gaming or general use until specified otherwise.