Brony@Home - Forums

Full Version: The Gearhead Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I was looking at getting a 1st Gen Insight with a 5-speed. Look pretty slick, and 5-speed, and gas mileage is even better than my little Festiva. Hell first gen Insights probably the single most fuel efficient car you can buy, people getting around 70MPG highway is insane!

But also looking at allot of different cars in the $5k range. But has to be a standard transmission, but I see why you would want an Automatic if you are delivering papers and pizza, it would get tiring changing gears all the time, but I don't use my car for my job other than getting to get to work.

I wish I could get a loan right now, because I would buy this in a instant.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail.../overview/

Or Maybe this

Maybe one of these, but Mitsubishi engines are all just ticking time-bombs. Kinda like any Chrysler product's transmission.

Also entertaining the thought of a V6 Mustang

I get 30 with almost non-stop traffic lights all the way to work, so allot stops. But in summer on the highway with the a/c on and a friend with me I got 41MPG.
(2015-01-14, 12:58:44 PM)TorqueEffect Wrote: [ -> ]I was looking at getting a 1st Gen Insight with a 5-speed. Look pretty slick, and 5-speed, and gas mileage is even better than my little Festiva. Hell first gen Insights probably the single most fuel efficient car you can buy, people getting around 70MPG highway is insane!

Here's a Brony Insight from someone I work with at Papa John's. I assume that would be a second generation Insight?

[Image: PON3_zps0ef7bbb1.jpg]
Yup those are Second generation Insights.

Here is a first gen.

[Image: Honda_Insight_Back.JPG]
(2015-01-15, 12:57:42 AM)TorqueEffect Wrote: [ -> ]Yup those are Second generation Insights.

Here is a first gen.

More surface area for ponification Twilightsmile
(2015-01-13, 08:22:07 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-12, 01:49:10 PM)TorqueEffect Wrote: [ -> ]Enter the poor brony with his Ecoshitbox!

At least I'm not the only one with 300,000 miles on my car, which would be half a million kilometers for the metrically inclined. I got lucky, only needing to replace a wheel bearing so far. Of course, that doesn't count brakes and tires. I burn about a quart of 0w-20 a week now, but I keep it topped off so I ain't worried about fixing that. Right now, I think I need a fuel injector to fix my current issue. Might grab a used one on ebay for $20. I would have had a new car by now, but my car budget got pushed over into my tech budget. The car isn't even five years old yet, sadly Applecry

1 quart a week is not normal...
(2015-01-15, 07:04:50 AM)Luis_GT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-13, 08:22:07 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-12, 01:49:10 PM)TorqueEffect Wrote: [ -> ]Enter the poor brony with his Ecoshitbox!

At least I'm not the only one with 300,000 miles on my car, which would be half a million kilometers for the metrically inclined. I got lucky, only needing to replace a wheel bearing so far. Of course, that doesn't count brakes and tires. I burn about a quart of 0w-20 a week now, but I keep it topped off so I ain't worried about fixing that. Right now, I think I need a fuel injector to fix my current issue. Might grab a used one on ebay for $20. I would have had a new car by now, but my car budget got pushed over into my tech budget. The car isn't even five years old yet, sadly Applecry

1 quart a week is not normal...

with over 300k miles it is.

Just means the piston rings are worn, nothing more. It may kill his catalytic converter if it hasn't already, but the engine should keep soldiering on as long as he keeps it topped up on oil, also the emissions nanny will probably hurt his gas mileage in the process because the o2 sensor behind the bad cat will throw an engine code and it will probably try all it can to correct it, affecting the power output (which is already down because worn rings also mean lower compression) but as long as he can still use it he should be good.

The car isn't that old, so I say keep running it until the engine is kaput, and find one out of a wrecked insight and find a mechanic who's willing to work on a Hybrid who can install it for ya.

Or getting someone to rebuild the engine would also be an option, but I think it would just be easier to find a replacement engine.

The same Engine/IMA can also be found in the Civic Hybrids (My friend has one of these.)

EDIT (so I don't double post)

Looks my friend will sell me his 1999 Monte Carlo with the 3100 V6 for $500, will be a nice backup car, and should easily be able to get the $500 back when I sell it down the road. these only came in automatics unfortunately, but it will be a good long distance cruiser, and backup when I am doing work on my car that requires stuff that will take it out of commission for a little while. lol

Definitely going to need a clean though, my friend is a slob lol.
(2015-01-15, 07:04:50 AM)Luis_GT Wrote: [ -> ]1 quart a week is not normal...

Usually, but you have to look at how many miles are driven during the week. When you drive hundreds of miles a day, a quart a week starts to sound better. Now that I got my suzuki, I put less miles on this one. So overall, I burn a quart every 1500 to 2000 miles. Compared to the $6,000 annual gasoline bill for it, the oil is nothing. Its pretty bad that I burn more gas a year in a hybrid than most people who drive Hummers.

I was looking to fetch a Mitsubishi Evo MR at some point, which burns a lot more fuel Rainbowdetermined2 once I clear a few more points off my record.

To TorqueEffect - in case I was confusing, I drive the Prius, my friend drives the insight Derpytongue2 Yeah, its most likely the piston rings worn. Never helps that I changed the oil at 25,000mile intervals. But early on, I could put on several thousand miles a month and oil changes get old. I was hoping the Prius would die so I could just buy the damn Evo. But I promised myself to not buy a new car until I kill this one. And i'm trying my best to. If it hits 500,000 miles, i'ma sit it on the train tracks and wait.
Ahh, my bad

Lol I'd hate to see the inside of your valve cover if you did indeed do 25k OCIs lol.
Dude that Festiva rules! I want one Rainbowkiss

Here's my daily drivers

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

Just picked up the 95 Civic for $700 about 5 months ago and been driving it instead of the Jeep to save on gas. Then we had a bunch of snow last week so I'm back to the Jeep until we thaw out a bit. It's about to hit 200k in the next couple days. The Honda showed 175k on the odo when I got it, but it's not accurate so I have no idea what it actually has on it. It burns oil and has some decent piston slap in the mornings, lol.

The entire suspension was wore out and the brakes barely worked when I got it. Front ball joints were about to fall out, lol. Broke all four brake bleeder valves trying to bleed the brakes, and found a brake line spraying fluid everywhere. I've got most of it fixed now, but I've been putting off replacing the bushings in the rear trailing arms. Plus it needs shocks and I don't want to spend the money on good ones. Those $100 ebay coil over sets are tempting... Pinkiecrazy

Specs:
D15B7 1.5L non-vtec
Manual transmission swap
A/C delete
Power steering delete
Cat delete
Manual locks and windows
25K OCI... damn... I change my oil about every 3500 miles... I do track my car though...

I forgot to post this... I installed an oil cooler last month

[Image: FB_IMG_1417803719665_zpsftghrvwk.jpg~original]

[Image: FB_IMG_1417803585709_zpsruve13rh.jpg~original]
(2015-01-16, 10:30:09 AM)shadowbolt82 Wrote: [ -> ]Dude that Festiva rules! I want one Rainbowkiss

Here's my daily drivers

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

Just picked up the 95 Civic for $700 about 5 months ago and been driving it instead of the Jeep to save on gas. Then we had a bunch of snow last week so I'm back to the Jeep until we thaw out a bit. It's about to hit 200k in the next couple days. The Honda showed 175k on the odo when I got it, but it's not accurate so I have no idea what it actually has on it. It burns oil and has some decent piston slap in the mornings, lol.

The entire suspension was wore out and the brakes barely worked when I got it. Front ball joints were about to fall out, lol. Broke all four brake bleeder valves trying to bleed the brakes, and found a brake line spraying fluid everywhere. I've got most of it fixed now, but I've been putting off replacing the bushings in the rear trailing arms. Plus it needs shocks and I don't want to spend the money on good ones. Those $100 ebay coil over sets are tempting... Pinkiecrazy

Specs:
D15B7 1.5L non-vtec
Manual transmission swap
A/C delete
Power steering delete
Cat delete
Manual locks and windows

Festivas are awesome if youu can find one in good shape.

All the pictures I decide to show here are of it's good side, the other side is pretty wrinkled behind the passenger door.

Other quirks that need fixed that are really driving me nuts.

All the window felt guides need to be replaced, so the passenger side window needs assisted up, and when really cold my driver's side window has an extremely high pitched squeak on the way down.

The hood just refuses to line up, and I broke 1 of the 4 tiny bolts used to fasten it to the hinges so that doesn't help any. I plan on using a cutting disc, and cutting open the hood behind where those bolts go through, and drill them out and stick bigger nuts and bolts through to fasten the hood, and force the hood to line up using some hood pins or something.

I need to find a real white Festiva driver's side fender as that unpainted fender is a cheap aftermarket piece and that wheel scraps on it with other people in the car.

The cheap ebay powered door locks need to be fixed, they are not strong enough anymore to fully unlock the doors, and two of the actuators that I had in the hatch just outright failed.

The rocker panels are extremely bad rust wise, and needs to all be cut out.

The replacement transmission isn't without its own faults, and crunches into 2nd occasionally, now I know why the guy removed it from his car and sold it, because most Festiva owners like to hold onto their 5-speeds. But at least it got mine back on the road after 3 days of grueling work in an unheated garage, with low light. I might have to drain the Pennzoil Synchromesh and try the Mobile 1 ATF I picked up for cheap. (My transmission calls for Mercon ATF anyway) If it comes down to it, I will just take the transmission back out, and swap the part my old one needs out of this one, but that will force my car to be out of commission for a while, and I don't plan on doing it unless I grind off too much of 2nd gear to where it doesn't work anymore.

I also have allot of shaking at highway speeds, and I have had the tires balanced when I bought the Konig wheels last year, and vibrated right after that too, and I am afraid it may be the inner cv-joint that's bad. But otherwise I am having the damnedest time trying to figure out what it is. I really don't want to throw over $100 in axles at it on a hunch. I hope it is just the rotors are unevenly worn, and that when I swap them with the Kia Rio setup that it will just all go away.

A/C system needs to be redone as I was a dumbass and didn't bother to vacuum out the system before charging it. (Only because the stuff I charged into the system said not to charge it into a vacuum state)

I also need to get new keys made as my only two have cracks in them, and Lowes refused to copy them because of the cracks. So I may have to pull all the locks and ignition barrel off the part's car you see in front of my car in the pictures. That is if no one will copy them for me.

But yeah, I know it is a money pit, and spending way way way more money than any sane person would on a Ecoshitbox, but these will be classics one day because of that thought that they are disposable. Also every person should keep their first car. Yes this is my first car, and I bought her back in 2012 when I was 22 for $400. Before that I just borrowed my folk's car for everything.

Probably the thing I am most impressed with myself for doing on this car is the Ford Aspire rear brakes / beam swap, did that 100% without any help, and a limited selection of tools, and no ramp, but a really shitty jack that had lost about half of its hydraulic fluid, and all in my driveway. I even took the beam off the Ford Aspire in the junkyard myself.

like I said in a previous post, I will be buying my friend's 1999 Monte Carlo LS off of him for $500 since he is getting his dad's Ford Ranger. That Monte is going to need a bit of work, but the engine is in perfect shape. Good ol' reliable 3100 V6. I will be getting this car off him hopefully in a few days. Will post pics of it once I have it all cleaned up.
Bought the Monte Carlo, and got the title, and plates, and added it to my insurance today.

It's actually a 1998, but there was no difference between 1998, and 1999.

Going to have to ponify it soon too, but I have other more important things to do on it first. Mainly getting it cleaned out, and replacing the driver's seat for one out of a junkyard. This one the back broke and needs something to prop it up. lol
I have a Honda Recon ES (A fourwheeler) that my father and I had fixed up together. We had to completely replace the rotten air filter and as well as the fume filter. The starter was shot, but my father was able to get it running on one brush until we could get replacement parts. The two front tires were rotting apart, which we replaced. We also had to replace a fuse, luckily, my father had a huge stock of them. He adjusted the idle so it wouldn't stall. Last but not least we cleaned it up! I will post pictures later.
Woo bringing back an old thread. You guys need to talk more.

Anyway, my current car... has issues. It is a 1996 dodge stratus with a manual transmission. Most recently it has been missing every, donno minute or so to 15min, depending on its mood. I have some suspicions as to what is wrong (spark plug wires, coil), but if its not that then there is something much deeper. When I have some time I will try replacing those maybe sometime this week.

In the mean time I've been chatting with my mechanic friend about cars. I think he is swaying me towards a ford mustang GT build... hehe. He has a 5.4L engine he is willing to give me and help put in too. With that engine it kind of requires a lot of other stuff though, like a rear end beefed up, transmission parts replaced, and an expensive clutch. While that would be fun in some cases, I don't think its quite what I need, or even want. I guess it depends on what we can find for a base shell to build off of.

What happens when a mechanic and a machinist get together to build a car? I'm not sure yet, but I'll let you know when I find out Rainbowdetermined2

It will probably be a gradual summer project.
Just found this thread, and thought I'd add my stuff to it.
[Image: jxCxTNJ.jpg]

[Image: 2mUFZGQ.jpg]
My first car, a 1977 El Camino. barely any rust, hoses and brakes were replaced before I bought it, so it runs perfectly other than the carb being a bit out of adjustment. Odometer reads 6k miles now, but it resets after 100k, so I have no idea how much it really has.

[Image: kpnUTnA.jpg]
And my first bike, a 1975 Kawasaki F9. It sat for about 30 years before it was given to me, so the gas tank was rusted, got that cleaned up, and it started and ran right away. About 12k miles on the odometer, and a 1976 college parking sticker on the back fender. Probably about time for a rebuild though, since it's a two-stroke.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9